Learn more about the different ways that we fundraise
Our fundraising promise
We're committed to being completely open and transparent about our fundraising.
We promise that our fundraising will always aim to be:
- honest and open
- fair and reasonable
We are committed to following our vulnerable person policy in all our fundraising activities.
The ways we fundraise
Like most major UK charities, we raise funds from individuals in many different ways, including:
- face-to-face fundraising
- telephone fundraising
- direct mail
We promote a variety of fundraising products as we recognise that people like to support us in different ways.
This is a way to talk to members of the public about what we do and how they can support us. Our fundraisers have conversations with people in the street, in train stations or shopping centres and on people's doorsteps.
Face-to-face fundraising is a cost effective way of generating long term support through regular gifts, which are one of our most important sources of income. It also gives us the opportunity to spread the word about what we do and the issues affecting children and young people in the UK today.
Our fundraisers operate all over the UK throughout the year.
If you need reassurance that a fundraiser is legitimate or you have another query, email our Supporter Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them on 0800 008 7005.
Our face-to-face fundraisers:
- wear Barnardo's branded clothing
- display photo identification stating whether they work for our In House team or are employed by an agency on our behalf
- carry up-to-date Barnardo’s literature such as booklets on our work
- if you make a financial payment, will tell you if they work for an agency (and if so, how much the agency will be paid and how much we expect to raise from the campaign), or if they are working In House for us as a paid fundraiser
Our agencies use digital tablets to capture a donor’s details, the screens on these devices will clearly display the Barnardo’s logo. Any data collected on iPads is securely encrypted and transferred in accordance with GDPR, so no data is stored or accessible from the device.
Telephone fundraising allows us to raise money in a cost-effective way, as well as engage in thousands of conversations each year with supporters.
This form of fundraising gives supporters the opportunity to ask questions about our work and discuss the different ways in which they can support us. We only call supporters who have given us permission to do so.
Our telephone fundraisers will:
- say their name and that they are calling on behalf of Barnardo’s at the start of the telephone conversation
- check that you are happy to take the call
- tell you if the call is being recorded for training and monitoring purposes
- if you make a financial payment, will tell you that they work for an agency along with how much the agency will be paid and how much we expect to raise from the campaign
How we train our fundraisers
We ensure that:
- all our fundraisers have intensive training and receive regular briefing sessions to ensure they they are working to best practice and to the charity’s guidelines set out by the Institute of Fundraising and Fundraising Regulator
- we regularly monitor and review all our fundraisers to ensure they adhere to the Code of Fundraising practice
- every agency we work with has a vulnerable person policy in place in line with the best practice guidance from Institute of Fundraising. We also have our own vulnerable person policy and are committed to following this in all our fundraising activities
- where allegations are made against our agencies about their fundraising practices we reserve the right to pause/suspend/cancel activity with them while the allegations are investigated
If you have any concerns about the conduct of someone representing us, please call our Supporter Relations team on 0800 008 7005. You can also email them: email@example.com
Our lotteries and raffles
Our weekly lottery, raffles and workplace lottery are great ways for supporters to help raise vital funds for children across the UK, while also being in with the chance of winning amazing prizes.
We are committed to operating our gambling products in a socially responsible way and take steps to ensure we protect vulnerable people, such as minimising and preventing underage gambling by limiting entry to those aged 16 or above or engaging with those who cannot control their gambling through self-exclusion. You can read our responsible gaming policy and find out how to self-exclude here. You can also read our raffle terms and conditions and our weekly lottery terms and conditions.
Our mail to you
Writing to you – known as 'direct mail' – is a cost-effective way for charities to talk to people about Barnardo’s, what we do and how they can support our work
If you are an existing supporter and would like to change your contact preferences please call our Supporter Relations team on 0800 008 7005. You can also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to be kept informed by email please sign up to our monthly e-newsletter. We’ll use your details provided to tell you about our work and ways you can support us in the future including appeals, campaigning, events and volunteering.
We often include a low cost gift in your mailing, such as a calendar of children's artwork, handy address stickers, a pen or Christmas cards. We hope our supporters will share them with friends and family to help raise awareness of our work. The amount of donations raised from these mailings far outweighs the cost of the gift.