What we do
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a group of behavioural symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness.
Barnardo’s aim to support parents/carers of children (6-18 years old) who have a diagnosis of, or who are awaiting a diagnosis of ADHD. This support and advice is delivered in an 8 week programme; within your local community or online via zoom, during school hours, or in the evenings.
We support parents by helping them to:
•gain confidence and skills as parents when living with a child with ADHD
•exploring how positive parenting is beneficial to the family as a whole
•discuss strategies for effective behaviour management
•have the opportunity to meet with other parents
•understanding the importance of clear communication for a child with ADHD
We have two skills building programmes, The Parent Factor in ADHD is for parents/carers of children that have an ADHD diagnosis (8 week skills building programme) and the Nurturing Programme, delivered with ADHD as a clear focus, is for those parents/carers awaiting a diagnosis for their child. (8 week skills building programme).
Parents and carers can also access advice and guidance from this service, 365 days per year from 5-10.30pm by calling 0300 222 5755, no referral is necessary to access this Out of Hours Helpline.
Referrals can only be generated by a professional, for example a GP, teacher or Family Support Worker, via https://www.mindworks-surrey.org/
For SABP CAMHS Professionals, the referral form can be downloaded and emailed to [email protected] .
For enquiries, or to verify whether your family is able to access the support, contact the team by email.
Parents/Carers that have been referred can expect to receive a phone call from a Barnardo’s worker to introduce the service and give an opportunity to discuss the support and needs required, as well as answering any questions.
We can help with
- Training programmes and workshops, family learning activities, community based development support and family mediation services.
- Search for Parenting programmes services
- Services supporting children and young people's emotional health and wellbeing. We have centres where children and young people can visit and have a trained worker they can trust and talk to. We help them build their confidence and get to the root of their difficulties.
- Find out more about Mental health
- Search for Mental health services