What we do
Making Connections works with adults who were in Barnardo’s care as children or were placed for adoption by the charity. Its core purpose is to provide access to records for adults seeking information about their past, and where follow-up is required, help with tracing and intermediary work is offered. Our work with adoptive adults is a statutory service and we therefore operate as part of Barnardo’s Adoption Agency.
Making Connections holds the archive of records for every child who has been resident in a home, school or family placement since the organisation began. The service is also responsible for managing the Barnardo's corporate archive collections.
Making Connections offers a Family History Service to descendants of those who grew up in our care in the UK, or as part of the historic emigration schemes to Canada and Australia.
We can help with
- Recruiting, training and supporting adopters to provide permanent homes for children.
- Find out more about Adoption
- Search for Adoption services
- Supporting the transition to independent living, including advice, supported lodgings, help getting a job.
- Find out more about Leaving care
- Search for Leaving care services