1. The weekly lottery is operated on behalf of Barnardo’s by StarVale Management & Technologies Limited, Galgate Mill, The Tannery, Chapel Lane, Galgate, Lancaster, LA2 0PR. StarVale Management & Technologies Limited is an External Lottery Manager licensed by the Gambling Commission to conduct multiple society lotteries under licence numbers 000-003273-N-103078-010 and 000-003273-N-103079-012 on behalf of societies such as Barnardo’s.
2. Barnardo’s (the promoter) is licensed by the Gambling Commission under licence numbers 000-004642-R-310383-011 and 000-004642-N-305392-012. This lottery is subject to the laws of England, Wales and Scotland and run under the rules laid down by the Gambling Act 2005.
3. All proceeds from this lottery go to Barnardo’s Children’s Charity (Registered office address: Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 1QG). Registered Charity No: 216250 / SC037605. The responsible person for the weekly lottery is Terry Stokes, Barnardo's, Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 1QG
4. Barnardo’s has determined that the minimum age requirement for entry into our lotteries is 18 and that as a further condition of entry we require you to confirm that:
a) you are 18 years of age or over
b) you are a resident of Great Britain
c) you will not buy or purport to buy an entry to the weekly lottery on behalf of anybody under the age of 18
d) you will provide the promoter with accurate entry information, including your name, personal address and telephone number and you accept that it is your responsibility to keep the promoter informed of any changes to this information as soon as reasonably possible; and
e) you shall not be entitled to receive any prize if you are unable to substantiate, to the promoter’s satisfaction, your representations under paragraphs 4(a), (b) and (c) above.
5. The promoter reserves the right to carry out any checks which it deems necessary to confirm age eligibility to any lottery draw.
6. Any person found to be under 18 years of age who has entered the weekly lottery will be excluded from future entries and any monies paid over by them will be returned and, if applicable, any prizes won will be withheld.
Joining the lottery
7. The cost of each entry is £1 per week. Players can take a maximum of ten lines. Payment needs to have been taken before entry into weekly draws can begin. Where payment method is direct debit, the direct debit must be set up and activated before entry into the weekly draw.
8. Each line purchased will be taken as a monthly payment of £4.34 in order to achieve the £1 a week stake in the lottery draw, allowing for months that have five weeks. The players will accrue a maximum of eight pence for one weekly entry at the end of each year’s subscription. The promoter will treat the additional eight pence as a donation to Barnardo’s Children’s Charity.
9. On joining, each player is allocated an electronic draw number at random by the computer. The promoter will then write to you informing you of this number and other important information about the draw.
10. The promoter reserves the right without notice or reason to cancel or refuse entry to the weekly lottery. This decision shall be final and binding.
11. By entering into any of the weekly lottery draws and or any Super Draw every player is agreeing to abide by the above terms and conditions of the lottery.
Draws and prize payments
12. The draw is completed by StarVale Management & Technologies Limited and will normally take place every Friday including all active/live paid-for entries, except when a Friday falls on a bank holiday, when the draw will take place on the next working day. An electronic random number chooser, which has been audited by a Gambling Commission approved auditor, will then select winners from the weekly loaded list of entry numbers. Please note that it is not possible to predict the chances of winning a prize as this is not a ‘fixed odds’ lottery.
13. Periodically throughout the year we will hold a Super Draw where the weekly prize fund will be increased to an amount of up to £9,500. All enrolled active ‘weekly’ players will be entered into the Super Draw. Additional entries may be sold separately to non-enrolled players to enable them to enter the Super Draw as a ‘one-off’. Note, as a result, the chances of enrolled weekly players winning a prize in the Super Draw may be different to that of a usual weekly lottery draw.
14. The promoter will notify the winners by post within 28 days. A list of winners will be available upon request by contacting the Barnardo’s supporter relations team by emailing email@example.com, by phone on 0800 008 7005 or by sending a self-addressed envelope to the Supporter relations team, Barnardo's, Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford, Essex IG6 1QG.
15. The promoter will pay the prizes directly to the winners of the weekly lottery by cheque or BACS within 28 days of the draw date. Please note, payments by cheque may take up to four weeks to arrive. In the event of a delay, winners will be notified by post or telephone as soon as reasonably possible.
16. Whilst every effort will be made to contact cheque winners, if we are unable to make contact within 90 days of the draw, unclaimed prizes will be used to fund Barnardo’s vital work.
17. If a cheque payment from the promoter remains uncashed after 90 days of the draw, this prize will be forfeited and used to fund Barnardo’s vital work.
18. There are no alternatives to the cash prize where cash is the only prize on offer and no interest is payable.
19. The promoter accepts no liability for loss, theft or delay and is not liable for any late bank payments.
20. Barnardo's employees who have direct involvement with lottery products are excluded from playing the weekly lottery.
Lottery prize fund and customer funds
21. The promoter will hold all customer funds, as defined by the Gambling Commission, in a segregated bank account with trust status to protect them against the insolvency of the promoter. This is considered a ‘medium’ level of protection by the Gambling Commission. Customer funds are player funds that the promoter holds on behalf of the players, other than funds which have been allocated to a particular lottery, and also includes prize funds that have been allocated but not yet paid to the winner.
22. Players may cancel their entries into the weekly draw by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to the Supporter relations team at the registered office address above (see paragraph 3). Cancellations will only become effective after all prepaid credits have been expended by entries into respective future draws. Prepaid stake money will not normally be refunded on cancellation. It is the player’s responsibility to cancel any direct debit or standing order instruction held by the player’s bank.
23. The lottery is intended to be a fun way to support the promoter’s work. If you feel you have a problem with gambling visit the promotor's self-exclusion and responsible gambling page or the BeGambleaware website, or call the National Helpline on 0808 8020 133 – lines are open 8.00am until midnight – where you can get help and advice.
24. You can self-exclude from the lottery or ALL of the promoter’s lotteries for a minimum period of six months and up to a period of five years if it is needed. Any self-exclusion period may, on request, be extended for one or more further periods of at least six months.
25. This can be done by filling in the self-exclusion form on the promotor's self-exclusion and responsible gambling page or making the request in writing to the supporter relations team at the promoter’s registered office address (see paragraph 2). You should read the guidance notes on the consequences of self-exclusion and agree to them before the period commences.
26. The promoter will comply with any relevant data protection legislation (GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018) to protect your personal data for the purposes of administering your participation in the weekly lottery and communicating with you about the weekly lottery. The promoter will not share your data with third parties for marketing purposes. Unless otherwise indicated by you, the promoter may occasionally send you information to keep you up to date with the work that your contributions help fund and other ways in which you can support the promoter.
27. All complaints and disputes relating to the weekly lottery will be dealt with by the promoter in accordance with the promoter’s lottery specific complaints and disputes policy and procedure.
Find out how to make a complaint about a Barnardo's lottery or raffle.
28. In the event a ‘dispute’ (as defined within the promoter’s policy) cannot be resolved by these means then it may be referred to alternative dispute resolution (ADR). As a member of the Lotteries Council, the promoter’s ADR entity will be The Independent Betting Adjudication Service (IBAS). IBAS is a free-to-use service and its contact details are:
Independent Betting Adjudication Service, PO Box 62639, London, EC3P 3AS
Telephone: 020 7347 5883
29. The promoter has the right to change or update the weekly lottery rules and/or prize fund at its discretion and weekly lottery participants are invited to regularly check the website for updates. The promoter will update this page to reflect any changes. Changes will also be available from Barnardo’s supporter relations team.
30. The promoter reserves the right without notice or reason to cancel or refuse entry to the weekly lottery. This decision shall be final and binding.