We offer rewarding roles working with children, young people and families, as well as many other careers that support our vital work. Here are the benefits of working with us.
Salary and leave
- Salary is paid in arrears in 12 equal instalments on the 23rd of each month. Salaries are normally reviewed annually.
- Annual Leave entitlement for full-time employees is 26 days per annum, increasing to 29 days per annum, after 5 years Barnardo’s service. Those working less than full time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata.
- Option to purchase up to 5 additional days of annual leave (this is reviewed annually).
- Pension Scheme: Barnardo’s offers a 4% or 6% matched contribution to our Group Personal Pension. For those that pay into the pension they will be provided with death in service cover of 4 times annual earnings.
- Enhanced maternity pay for eligible employees at 50% of weekly pay for 12 weeks, plus 39 weeks’ Statutory Maternity Pay. The right to take up to 52 weeks maternity leave is available to all pregnant employees.
- Enhanced adoption pay for eligible employees at 50% of weekly pay for 12 weeks, plus 39 weeks’ Statutory Adoption Pay. The right to take up to 52 weeks leave is available to employees adopting a child.
- Fostering Leave: up to 52 weeks for new foster parents fostering on a long term basis and fostering pay for eligible employees.
- Support Leave: 2 weeks’ leave for partners to be taken on or around the time of birth/adoption/fostering. Parental Leave: eligible employees are entitled to 18 weeks unpaid leave to be taken by the child’s 18th birthday
- Shared Parental Leave: eligible employees can share up to a maximum of 50 weeks leave and 37 weeks’ pay following the birth/adoption of child.
- Additional Leave such as carer’s, bereavement or domestic leave is available.
- Sickness Absence: Barnardo’s is required to make statutory sickness payments (SSP) where staff qualify. We also have our own discretionary sick pay scheme, including full pay for a period subject to certain conditions.
- Work life balance - Barnardo’s offers a number of policies to help employees achieve a greater work life balance including flexible working.
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP): is a health and wellbeing benefit available to Barnardo’s employees. It offers access to a variety of confidential services including telephone and online counselling and legal and financial information services.
- Travel season ticket loan: interest free currently for up to £1,960 for 2018/19. (the equivalent of Zones 1-4 London Annual travel pass).
- Cycle to Work Scheme: buy a bike and/or safety equipment up to £1,000 on a tax efficient basis for the purpose of going to and from work.
- Trade union recognition: Barnardo’s has a recognition agreement with UNISON.
- Equality, Diversity & Inclusion: We have four networks (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, Disability, LGBT and Women)which are open to all and provide support to those that identify with them.
- Voluntary health care cash plans
- Barnardo’s Shops offer employees a 20% discount
- Choice Discount Stores: 10% off all merchandise
- Merlin Entertainments: big discounts available e.g. Alton Towers, Legoland
- Discount holidays and breaks with Haven, Butlins, Forest Holidays, Pontins and Warners at locations across the UK
- Hotel accommodation: stay at a number of hotels in UK at a discount rate
- Barkingside Discounts: various offers from local retailers
- There are more than 5000 discounts and deals to be found on our staff benefits platform, including discount cinema tickets and reloadable store cards.