Do you need extra support?
Our 0-19 years Family Centres provide two levels of support. Outside of the universal accessible classes, programmes and support groups, there is also the opportunity for more targeted support. This targeted support is known as ‘Strengthening Families’ and is a result of the ‘Troubled Families’ government initiative launched in 2011.
The Strengthening Families scheme aims to offer support, guidance and practical help. Barnardo’s will not give up on any family and the support you will receive will be tailored to your needs.
At Barnardo’s we believe in families and we believe in children. As a result, we are working with the government to deliver this service with this shared goal.
If I am eligible, what does this mean for me?
- Help will be different for each family and will depend on what support you need
- Your family will have a single point of contact (known as a key worker) that will coordinate your family support between 6 to 12 months
- This scheme is voluntary and free. You don’t have to take part in the programe, however if you are eligible we would really like you to be able to benefit from the support we can offer.
What difference will it make for my family?
The support you will receive will not only provide short term fixes but also long term solutions.
The Strengthening Families programme can support you to address difficulties relating to:
- Challenging behaviour;
- Finding employment or training;
- Alcohol or drug misuse;
- Housing or financial difficulties;
- School attendance
By joining the programe you will have a dedicated worker to talk to, who will listen to you and provide consistent support.
How do I join the programme?
If you want to join the programme you will be asked to sign the Strengthening Families referral form by a professional that has identified this will be beneficial for you and your family. This will enable checks to be carried out by the Isle of Wight Council and if eligible the referral will be sent to Barnardo’s.
For me information read our Strengthening Families Leaflet.