Bristol BASE Hub and Spokes Project
Sexual exploitation is not limited to particular geographical areas and all Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards should assume that it is an issue in their area.”
(Safeguarding Children and Young People from Sexual Exploitation, HM Government, 2009).
The Bristol BASE (Barnardo's Against Sexual Exploitation) Hub and Spokes Project works with children and young people across our local region providing specialist sexual exploitation work. We were founded in 1997 to support sexually exploited young people across the City of Bristol. We were the second specialist of its kind to be opened nationally (just a few months behind Barnardo's Bradford service Turnaround) and having been at the cutting edge of practice in this area ever since. Our model is research-led and has been robustly reviewed showing consistantly excellent practice.
Our most recent accolades include:
- the Bristol BASE Hub was recognised as a Centre of Excellence by the Department of Health in 2013 for our practice as we are the only child sexual exploitation service nationally to be offering a One-stop integrated service with on-site CAMHS and sexual health nurses.
- 2014 National Working Group 'Unsung Heroes Award' nomination
- Outstanding inspection status given by CAIU in 2013
Risk Indicators that a child is being sexually exploited include:
- Disclosures of older 'boyfriends'
- Gang affliation
- Receiving gifts, drugs and money
- Going missing and truanting
- Coercive relationships
- Internal trafficking
- Chatting to unknown people on social netowrking sites
- Being found in risky locations
The Bristol BASE Spokes Project can work with young people in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Somerset, North Somerset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire, Swindon and Bath and North East Somerset. For young people outside of Bristol this support can be commissioned on a case by case basis. For more details for any young people please contact 0117 934 9726 and the team can advise you on making a referral.
BASE is just one of the projects that Barnardo's works with in Bristol. Visit the Barnardo's website to see what other services they offer to children, young people and their families.