Bristol BASE Hub and Spokes Project
We now work with with children across the whole of Avon and Somerset providing specialist sexual exploitation work. We were founded in 1995 to support sexually exploited young people across the City of Bristol. We were the second specialist of its kind to be opened nationally (just a few months behind Barnardo's Bradford service Turnaround) and having been at the cutting edge of practice in this area ever since. Our model is research-led and has been robustly reviewed showing consistantly excellent practice.
(Safeguarding Children and Young People from Sexual Exploitation, HM Government, 2009).
Our most recent accolades include:
- the Bristol BASE Hub was recognised as a Centre of Excellence by the Department of Health in 2013 for our practice as we are the only child sexual exploitation service nationally to be offering a One-stop integrated service with on-site CAMHS and sexual health nurses.
- 2014 National Working Group 'Unsung Heroes Award' nomination
- Outstanding inspection status given by CAIU in 2013
Risk Indicators that a child is being sexually exploited include:
- Disclosures of older 'boyfriends'
- Gang affliation
- Receiving gifts, drugs and money
- Going missing and truanting
- Coercive relationships
- Internal trafficking
- Chatting to unknown people on social netowrking sites
- Being found in risky locations
The Bristol BASE Project can be commissioned on a case by case basis work with looked after young people placed in Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Somerset, North Somerset, and Bath and North East Somerset from other local authorities. Our ability to do this depend on our capacity at the point of referral. For more details for any young people please contact 0117 934 9726 and the team can advise you on making a referral.
Barnardo’s Wud U app can be downloaded for free to learn more about CSE. Download it from top right hand side of this page.