Independent supporters work directly with young people and their parents or carers
Our independent supporters help children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) who are going through an education, health and care (EHC) needs assessment.
We give independent support in 29 local council areas, listed below. The service is free of charge if you live in one of these areas.
Our independent supporters:
- listen and understand the young person's needs
- attend meetings for extra support
- make sure everybody involved understands the young person's views
- help to explain all the reports and recommendations
- help with developing an education, health and care (EHC) plan
Our independent supporters don't work for the local council. They are Barnardo's staff specially trained to work with families. The support usually lasts between 15 and 20 weeks for each family.
Request an independent supporter
Parents, carers and young people aged 16 to 25 can contact the independent support service in the local councils listed below by email or telephone.