Barnardo’s suite of CSE e-learning programmes
Initial induction for multiagency workforce
Barnardo’s has designed and developed an e-learning programme for use by the multiagency workforce. The programme covers:
- Key indicators
- Grooming and routes through which children are sexually exploited
The outcomes of the course are for learners to be able to:
- Identify the signs and indicators of child abuse through child sexual exploitation
- Describe the methods of grooming and routes by which children are sexually exploited
- Know the key risk factors that make a child more vulnerable to sexual exploitation
- Find more information on what to do and links to key policy, legislation and guidance
This programme has been designed in consultation with young people. Questions are incorporated at intervals to affirm knowledge and a final test is built in to evidence knowledge and understanding gained.
Barnardo’s can provide certification and reports on completion rates, and overall results.
Awareness raising for young people
Barnardo’s has designed and developed an e-learning programme for use by young people. The programme covers:
- What child sexual exploitation is
- What you can do if you are worried about yourself or someone else
- Where you can get further information
This programme has been designed in consultation with young people and piloted with young people. Tests are incorporated into the e-learning product to affirm and evidence knowledge and understanding gained.
Barnardo’s can provide certification and reports on completion rates, and evaluation. A link to the programme can be seen here:
Groups 2 and 3
Training for people working directly with children and young people
Barnardo’s has been providing a one day programme which has been well evaluated. This programme includes all aspects of child sexual exploitation including the importance of societal and community attitudes, routes through which children may be abused including on-line, peer to peer and gang related exploitation.
The aim of this programme is to raise awareness of child sexual exploitation including issues associated with risky and sexually exploitative relationships and relevant legislation, and to increase confidence in working directly with a child or young person at risk.
The outcomes for the level 2 programme are that learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate their understanding of ‘child sexual exploitation’ as a child protection issue
- Identify the indicators and risk factors that create vulnerability and can lead children and YP into sexual exploitation
- Reflect on the grooming process – how perpetrators target young people and how the young person views the relationship
- Have an understanding of relevant legislation, policy and procedures, and know what to do if concerns arise
- Have increased confidence in practise and demonstrate how to use a variety of practical tools in direct work with a child or young person at risk
- Recognise the importance of information sharing and multi-agency working in providing early help and protecting children and young people
- Understand how to work effectively on a multiagency basis in accordance with local procedures and multiagency arrangements
Group 3 and 4
Specialist Child Sexual Exploitation Training
Barnardo’s can provide a level 3/4 training programme suitable for those working directly with children and young people who have been sexually exploited, e.g. early help teams, social care and police.
The aim of this programme is to provide an in-depth knowledge and understanding, and develop relevant skills to contribute to key processes used by police and social care during assessments, and investigations of child sexual exploitation. An understanding will be gained of the powers available to prevent, and protect children, and to disrupt and prosecute perpetrators. The impact of child sexual exploitation on children will be explored and implications for engagement with children and young people considered.
The outcomes for the level 3/4 programme are as follows:
- Module1-learners will gain an appreciation of the law and powers available to protect children at risk from sexual exploitation. This will include gaining an understanding of key sexual offences legislation, and the wider powers at the disposal of the police, to both protect young people at risk and disrupt and prosecute perpetrators
- Module 2-learners will gain an understanding of what works best to enable positive contribution to the investigatory process relating to child sexual exploitation
- Module 3-learners will gain an understanding of how to ensure good preparation for multiagency risk assessment. This will include consideration of key multiagency processes
- Module 4-learners will understand how best to meet the needs of young people who have been sexually exploited. This will include considering recent developments in neuro-science, and the implications for intervention, as well as Barnardo’s 4As model in relation to pre-trial and post-trial support
Specialist and bespoke face to face CSE programmes
Our CSE consultancy can provide bespoke programmes various sectors and teams including the residential sector, family placement, police, and CSE teams. Barnardo’s Training and Consultancy design and deliver a wide range of bespoke programmes at different levels on CSE for specific sectors.
Leicestershire Youth Offending Service, Leicester
“Very clear trainer, I now have more confidence in identifying issues and where to go for help or assistance. Very enjoyable, I now feel better equipped with knowledge around CSE than before.” - Participant
Cheshire West & Chester
“This has been the best course I have attended - very useful and has provided me with confidence to practice in this area. Will enable me to make informed decisions/ trainer very knowledgeable and elaborated throughout. Very interesting course - will enable me to make informed decisions regarding placing children at risk of CSE in appropriate placements” - Commissioner/Manager