Volunteer in one of our charity shops
Want to improve your CV, meet new people and have fun whilst supporting the work of Barnardo's? Why not consider becoming a Barnardo's retail volunteer? We have over 10,000 volunteers without whom our 640 stores could not successfully fundraise to support Barnardo's work with vulnerable and disadvantaged children and young people.
Some give us two hours a week, others give us 20, but no matter what, they are all making a vital contribution towards the charity’s work.
So why not turn your everyday into something that makes a difference.
As little as two hours a week volunteering in our retail stores could transform a child’s life, as well as bringing fulfilment, enjoyment and development to yours.
What can you expect to be doing?
- Developing customer service skills
- Working on the till processing sales and returns.
- Stock processing & preparation including sorting, steaming and pricing
- Visual Merchandising - Creating stylish windows and displays
- Replenishing stock on the shop floor
- Administrative tasks such as stocktaking
Volunteering provides great personal benefits and career development such as
- Customer service skills
- Retail skills such as visual merchandising.
- Increased confidence
- Team-working skills
- Problem-solving abilities
- Meeting new people
- Option to take Retail & Customer Service NVQs (selected stores only)
- Volunteer at Barnardo's as part of an accredited programme or course.
Volunteering can give you so much enjoyment, fulfilment and development - but don’t just take our word for it, read on to hear from our volunteers in their own words…
What our shop volunteers had to say
My youngest child is at nursery now so I decided to try volunteering. I do one morning a week in my local Barnardo's store and I love it! I meet so many people and I see volunteering as time for me, away from my daily routine. I chose to volunteer for Barnardo's because, I am a mother and want to support a children's charity.
I serve customers on the till and do window displays. I'm deaf and when I first came to the store I didn't have much confidence. Now I've learnt so many new skills. Gareth