How we can help
If you are or know of a young carer under 18 years of age who lives in Leicester, or under 19 years of age in Leicestershire, then we may be able to help.
Referrals to CareFree
Informal enquiries are welcomed from young carers, families, statutory and voluntary agencies and other interested parties. Referrals can be made with the family's permission by calling 0116 286 7182, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, or by making an online referral using this website. Our eligibility criteria is available here; Leicester City, and Leicestershire County.
Assessment of the young carer's family situation
Once a referral has been made, a member of staff from CareFree will visit the young carer and their family in order to identify what help and support is needed. Initial visits can be made in conjunction with other professionals already known to the family if appropriate. CareFree will endeavour to meet the needs of young carers wherever possible, or link them into more appropriate services if necessary.
The type of support we offer includes:
- advocacy and service coordination to ensure the person needing care gets all the help and support they are entitled to
- one to one work eg. for anger management, self esteem building, understanding health conditions
- group work for time out, peer support and / or access to fun activities
- inclusion work to build resilience and ensure young carers are able to engage in their communities and try out new opportunities and hobbies
- support in school or college and / or help to get a job
- grants eg. for school equipment or activities
- access to holidays and residentials
- emergency planning and access to the YC ID Card
- support with transition in to adult services
We aim to have all work completed with the family in 2-6 months, however, group work may be ongoing.
If you would like more information about CareFree or you would like to make a referral, please contact us.